星期六, 10月 04, 2025

波士頓經文處慶祝114年雙十 400餘嘉賓共歡 廖朝宏促加強台美經貿

政要上台同慶中華民國114年國慶。(周菊子攝)
          (Boston Orange 周菊子波士頓報導)駐波士頓台北經濟文化辦事處103日晚,在新英格蘭多州政要出席,約400 賓客雲集,伯克利音樂學院台灣學生樂團現場演奏的熱絡氣氛中,假波士頓洲際酒店慶祝中華民國成立114週年。

波士頓經文處處長廖朝宏為114年雙十國慶致詞。(周菊子攝)
         新罕布夏州眾議會議長派卡德(Sherman Packard)、麻州參議會代議長伯威廉(William Brownsberger)及羅德島州眾議會代議長甘迺迪(Brian Patrick Kennedy)等3人應邀上台致詞。包括黃子安,Tram NguyenVanna Howard等,還有多名麻州眾議員出席。

         波士頓市長吳弭3日晚出席亞美基金會年度晚會,未克出席,但已預定將於4日一早,到波士頓華埠牌樓前,參加雙十遊行,一路遊行到市府廣場升旗。

         

廖朝宏處長(右四)和嘉賓齊切蛋糕。(周菊子攝)
今年的波士頓雙十國慶酒會,有精簡風,波士頓經文處處長廖朝宏的致詞言簡意賅,直指台美經貿互動正強勢推進,台積電更近期宣佈在美投資追加1,000億美元,更創下最大直接綠地投資紀錄。呼籲各州政府與議會支持在台灣設立貿易辦事處,藉此進一步推動雙方經貿合作。

         羅德島州眾議會代議長甘迺迪(Brian Patrick Kennedy

廖朝宏處長夫婦和政要合影(周菊子攝)
)等人稱許台灣的民主自由,期許將來還有許多個這樣的慶祝會。

         廖朝宏處長還在致詞中表示,去年經文處也是在洲際酒店舉辦慶祝雙十酒會,然而僅只一年過去,世界就發生了翻天覆地的變化。威權國家不斷炫耀武力,考驗著世界各地的民主國家。台灣正藉由加強自衛,建構全社會韌性,深化與志同道合的民主國家合作,來面對這些挑戰。

廖朝宏處長夫婦主持114年雙十國慶。(周菊子攝)
         廖朝宏也談及台灣和新英格蘭地區的科技、貿易、教育和文化交流,日益熱絡,越來越多台灣企業和新創公司有意來麻州發展。今年5月,他才陪同20多家人工智慧和量子運算產業組成台灣代表團,在大波士頓探索商機。

右起,波士頓僑務委員陳仕維,紐英崙中華總會會長余麗媖,
紐英崙中華公所主席雷國輝都是座上嘉賓。
(周菊子攝)

         在教育方面,台灣來美留學人數已達23,000人,是美國第五大國際學生來源,在哈佛、MIT等新英格蘭地區學校,也有近千人。波士頓台灣影展的一年年壯大,把更多台灣故事帶到人們面前,更爲台美民間友誼搭起橋樑。相信台美之間的合作雙贏,將持續更見光輝。

         這晚的2025年波士頓經文處雙十國慶酒會,還安排有佛蒙特州威爾猛軍校(Norwich University)的五位台灣學生護旗進場,兩名台裔學童獻唱中華民國與美國國歌,伯克利(Berklee)音樂學院台灣學生樂團演唱《寶島曼波》及波士頓經典歌曲《Sweet Caroline

波士頓經文處教育組組長黃薳玉(左)和華經會理事周萬欽。(周菊子攝)
》,現場設置大型台灣印象背板,播映國慶影片《堅韌的台灣》來展現台灣在各領域的蓬勃發展。

              10名來到波士頓,進入公益機構實習4個月的台大學生等人,第一次參加海外的雙十慶祝酒會,格外興奮。不少僑界出席者表示,今年的雙十酒會儀式簡潔,食物豐美,感覺很不錯。



經文處科技組組長蔡孟勳(中)和秘書楊明儀(右)。(周菊子攝)

來波士頓進公益機構實習的10名台大學生。(周菊子攝)
波士頓僑教中心主任高家富(右一),經文處副組長王道育(前)
支持波士頓台灣龍舟隊。
(周菊子攝)
波士頓經文處處長廖朝宏夫婦和波士頓台灣龍舟隊。(周菊子攝)
紐英崙至德三德公所元老黃周麗桃(中)等人在雙十舞台前留影。(周菊子攝)
右起,蔣宗壬,周萬欽,余麗媖,史美芳,翁偉健(左一)。(周菊子攝)
紐英崙玉山科技協會理事許翠玲(中)和車卓憲(右二),
王萱惠(右一)等創業家出席雙十慶祝會。
(周菊子攝)
波士頓經文處處長廖朝宏夫婦(右二,三),波士頓僑教中心主任高家富(後左)
和僑胞,右起沈慶雲,林麗珠,陳玉瑛等人。(周菊子攝)
佛蒙特州威爾猛軍校學生為雙十九會舉旗進場。(周菊子攝)
廖朝宏處長夫婦與僑胞合影。左一為麻州眾議員黃子安,右起為麻州眾議員
Vanna Howard,關榮康,鄭慧民,司徒宗達,譚達兒,關麗莎。(周菊子攝)
中華耆英會創辦人梅伍銀寬(左)由梅麗梨陪同出席雙十酒會。(周菊子攝)
廖朝宏處長夫婦和政要嘉賓。(周菊子攝)
波士頓榮光會前理事長石家孝、池元真夫婦。(周菊子攝)

廖朝宏處長夫婦和年輕一輩的僑團負責人合影。(周菊子攝)
伍輝民(右起),鍾美貞夫婦和王開洪(左一)夫婦。(周菊子攝



星期五, 10月 03, 2025

波士頓市議會議長Louijeune支持Henry Santana競選連任

City Council President Ruthzee Louijeune Endorses Councilor Henry Santana for Re-election

BOSTON – This morning, Boston City Councilor Henry Santana announced that he has earned the endorsement of City Council President Ruthzee Louijeune. “Councilor Henry Santana has been an incredible partner on the Boston City Council, which is why I am proud to endorse him for re-election,” said Louijeune. “Over the last year and a half, Henry has worked with me to expand affordable housing, invest in our public schools, and strengthen community safety. He is also a tireless advocate for Boston’s youth, championing programs like the City’s youth summer jobs initiative. I am proud of all we’ve accomplished together and would be honored to continue serving alongside Henry on the Council.”

“I am so honored to receive the support of my friend and colleague, Council Presiden Ruthzee Louijeune,” said Councilor Henry Santana. “I have been exceptionally fortunate to have her as a key mentor for my first term and a tremendous leader for the Council.

She is a steady hand and a strong voice for progress on every issue and in every corner of the city. We share a vision and passion for Boston’s future, and I look forward to continuing to deliver together for residents of Boston in every neighborhood.

Boston voters can vote for up to four candidates for Boston City Council At-Large on November 4th. The voter registration deadline is October 25, and early voting begins on Saturday, October 25, and continues through Friday, October 31.

Council President Louijeune joins a growing coalition of endorsers in support of Councilor Henry Santana, including Councilors Gigi Coletta, John FitzGerald, Enrique Pepen, Ben Weber, and Sharon Durkan, Representatives Sam Montaño and Jay Livingstone, and Senator Lydia Edwards, along with a large array of labor unions, Democratic ward committees, and progressive grassroots organizations.

MAYOR MICHELLE WU AND BOSTON PARKS AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT CELEBRATE IMPROVEMENTS TO WALSH PLAYGROUND

MAYOR MICHELLE WU AND BOSTON PARKS AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT CELEBRATE IMPROVEMENTS TO WALSH PLAYGROUND

BOSTON - Friday, October 3, 2025 - Mayor Michelle Wu today joined Interim Boston Parks Commissioner Cathy Baker-Eclipse, elected officials, and the Lower Mills community to cut the ribbon on improvements to Walsh Playground in Dorchester. The celebration marks the completion of a $4 million renovation, funded in the City’s five-year Capital Plan, to revitalize the park. This includes new play equipment, a splash pad, revitalized tennis and basketball courts, upgraded playing fields, and community areas. 


“We are proud to celebrate the reopening of the Walsh Playground,” said Mayor Michelle Wu. “The newly revitalized playground will serve as a vibrant space for community and connection – from new tennis and pickleball courts to new splash pads, we are proud to invest in spaces where our young residents can grow, play, and thrive.”


The renovated Walsh playground features a new competition softball field, multipurpose field, basketball court and half court, tennis and pickleball court, colorful new play equipment for children both 2-5 and 5-12 years old, and a new water splash pad. Additionally, the site features a quarter mile walking path, woodland path, updated entrances, improved pedestrian lighting, subsurface stormwater management system, shaded structures, and cafe seating. 


“The ribbon cutting at Walsh Playground is more than just the opening of a park—it’s a celebration of what we can achieve when a community comes together,” said Representative Brandy Fluker-Reid. “This upgraded space reflects the voices, needs, and hopes of the families who helped shape its vision. I’m proud to stand with neighbors, local leaders, and advocates who worked tirelessly to bring this project to life for the children and families of our district.”


"Every community deserves a well-maintained park, and I'm thrilled to see the vision behind Walsh Playground come to life for our neighborhood," said City Councilor Brian Worrell. “The city investment underscores the importance of green open space and play areas for our residents, and I'm grateful to all the stakeholders who played a part in this.”


Walsh Playground was designed by CBA Landscape Architects and constructed by R.A.D. Sports. The $4 million project budgeted $400,000 for design and $3.6M for construction, funded with $3.5M from the City’s five-year Capital Plan and with the support of a $500,000 Parkland Acquisitions and Renovations for Communities (PARC) Grant administered through the Commonwealth’s Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs.


“We’re excited to celebrate this investment in Walsh Playground,” said Interim Boston Parks Commissioner Cathy Baker Eclipse. “Thanks to the input and collaboration of our partners and community members, this renovation balances upgraded sports facilities, new play areas, and thoughtful design to create a green and welcoming place where children, families, and neighbors can gather, play, and connect for years to come.”


The design and development of Walsh Playground was guided by extensive community input gathered through public meetings and surveys beginning in 2023. Community priorities included new play equipment, preserving the beloved sledding hill, adding a half-court basketball court, incorporating pickleball striping on the tennis court, and enhancing the green space. In partnership with the local community softball league, improvements were also made to the field, creating a vibrant, welcoming space for competitive softball. 


“This revitalized park is a gem that will serve our neighborhood year round,” said Ann Walsh, softball coach with ADSL and RBI and Lower Mills community member. “As a coach, I cannot wait to see the first time a girl cranks a homer that clears that outfield fence.”


For more information, visit boston.gov/walsh-playground. To stay up to date with news, events, and improvements in Boston parks visit boston.gov/parks, call (617) 635-4505, join their email list, and follow our social channels @bostonparksdept on X, Facebook, Instagram, and @parks.boston.gov on Bluesky.

Healey 州長譴責川普政府剝奪麻州退伍軍人大學項目

Governor Healey Condemns Trump Administration Decision to Strip Massachusetts Veterans of College Program 

BOSTON — The Healey-Driscoll Administration today criticized the Trump Administration’s abrupt mid-cycle cancellation of the Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) grant at Suffolk University. The program is Massachusetts’ only federally funded pre-college program exclusively serving veterans. 

For nearly two decades, Suffolk’s VUB program has prepared 125 veterans each year to pursue college and build civilian careers by offering free academic instruction, tutoring, financial literacy and personalized advising. The program consistently exceeded federal performance benchmarks, with 80 percent of participants demonstrating academic improvement, 87 percent completing or persisting in the program, and 100 percent of completers enrolling in college within a year. 

“President Trump is failing our veterans,” said Governor Maura Healey. “He has already cut veterans services and cost them jobs, and now he’s ending a program that was helping our veterans afford college and build their careers. Massachusetts will continue do everything we can to stand up for our veterans.” 

“This is an insult to those who served,” said Lieutenant Governor Kim Driscoll. “Programs like Veterans Upward Bound make higher education possible for those who sacrificed for our country. Ending this program hurts our veterans trying to finish degrees, transition to new careers, and support their families.” 

"Taking away money from veterans — on the ridiculous basis that peer support gatherings for veterans are ‘woke' restorative justice — is ludicrous,” said Congressman Seth Moulton. “We should be doing everything we can to support our veterans who gave so much for this country. The Trump Administration’s disdain for our veterans is offensive and disgraceful." 

“Massachusetts is building a new model of veterans services that meets veterans where they are, and education is central to that mission,” said Veterans Services Secretary Jon Santiago. “While we push the federal government to reverse this harmful decision, we will work with Suffolk and higher education partners to keep veterans connected to the support and resources they need.” 

“This cruel grant cancellation is another example of the Trump Administration’s efforts to hurt students and dismantle long existing federal supports that enable all students to access and persist through higher education. The fall academic term is already underway. We urge the U.S. Department of Education to reinstate this grant – our veterans deserve this counseling, mentoring, and tutoring supports to help them meet their economic mobility goals,” said Secretary of Education Dr. Patrick Tutwiler

“Because they took time from their academic paths to serve our country, veterans have unique needs when it comes to readjustment to civilian life and academic spaces, and supports like Veterans Upward Bound are critical,” said Commissioner of Higher Education Noe Ortega. “This deeply problematic grant cancellation is harmful to those who have served our country and have tremendous knowledge and leadership skills to contribute on our campuses, in our professions and in our communities.”  

The U.S. Department of Education reportedly cited Suffolk’s use of the term “restorative justice” to describe its VetConnect peer-support gatherings — neutral circles designed to strengthen veterans’ resilience and build community — as grounds for ending the grant. These gatherings mirror longstanding Department of Veterans Affairs models of veteran-to-veteran support. 

The Healey-Driscoll Administration is working closely with Suffolk University, the Massachusetts congressional delegation, and veterans’ advocates to push for reinstatement of the grant and to identify short-term support for impacted veterans.